Monday, January 16, 2012

In Honor of Martin Luther King, Jr


Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., a civil rights leader and minister credited with bringing equal rights to African Americans, and tangentially, many other minority groups. Even after his assassination in 1968, his legacy as well as his moving speeches have inspired people to follow in Dr. King’s path.


We Shall Overcome, Deep in my Heart I do Believe, We Shall Overcome.





 In honor of today, I collected some of the most widely shared MLK quotes below...


" Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. "
 
 
" Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. "
 
 
" Faith is taking the first step... even if you don't see the whole staircase. "
 
 
" Our lives begin to end the day we decide to become silent about things that matter. "
 
 
" Hatred paralyzes life, love releases it.  Hatred confuses life, love harmonizes it.  Hatred darkens life, love illuminates it. " 


All progress is precarious, and the solution of one problem brings us face to face with another problem.
 
 
He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.  He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it.
 
 
I am not interested in power for power's sake, but I'm interested in power that is moral, that is right and that is good.
 
 
The hottest place in hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict.
 
 
I look to the day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
 
 
One who breaks an unjust law that conscience tells him in unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over the injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.
 
 
If we are go forward, we must go back and rediscover those precious values - that all reality hinges on moral foundations and that all reality has spiritual control. 
 
 
I just want to do God's will.  And he's allowed me to go to the mountain.  And I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land!  I may not get there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people will get to the promised land.
 
 
~ Martin Luther King, Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment