Monday, February 1, 2021

Purebred Throw Quilt

When I first saw this print, it evoked childhood memories of growing up in Montana with horses all around.  How I was crazy about horses and loved to do paint by numbers... and it was the horse prints that I would paint.  So I decided to make a throw quilt.  I just needed to find the design I wanted to use and buy the fabric.


                    


As I was looking for this fabric, I found it was part of a collection.....

Purebred is another collection in the fabulous paint-by-number style of Erin Michael. It reflects the majesty and charm of the thoroughbred horse, and was designed in honor of the year of the horse and the excitement of the Triple Crown race. Romantic florals evoke the beautiful blankets of flowers that adorn the winner’s circle while retaining a whimsical, childlike charm when mixed in a paint by number style. Romantic florals evoke the beautiful blankets of flowers that adorn the winner’s circle while retaining a whimsical, childlike charm when mixed in a paint by number style. Romantic florals evoke the beautiful blankets of flowers that adorn the winner’s circle while retaining a whimsical, childlike charm when mixed in a paint by number style.





                   
                                   

I just love this fabric!



After much meditating on which design pattern to use, a decision was made to utilize as much of the horse scenes as possible, so we choose to use the disappearing 9 patch for this quilt.  


Backing, binding, and pillowcase fabric.


All color and design combinations. 


The design coming together.


The Layout coming together. 


The 9 patch square.


The Disappearing 9 patch square.


Quilt top finished and ready for the batting and backing.




The colors aligned nicely, I think that this is going to be a favorite throw for the family room!



I thought I would do something different on the quilt... I didn’t want to sew through the print with hard lines on the backing print by machine quilting it all together.   I attached the quilt top to the batting and I also added a little extra touch by adding chenille yarn to the top of the quilt with invisible thread.  I put a bordering around each of the squares on the front of the quilt top.



Then I pinned the backing onto the other side of batting and quilt top, then hand tied the backing to the batting and quilt top, making sure that the chenille yarn did not come through the front of the quilt.  It was a great combination, it gave the quilt a lot of texture and uniqueness.  That’s what you call thinking outside the box and being creative!





Now where cutting the binding strips.


Sewing the binding on the quilt.



Last to pics is the finished lap throw quilt for the family room here at the ranch.  
I so happy with the way it turned out!




























No comments:

Post a Comment